FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

122023 Agnostic Advent Myth# 20: "I am overthinking it."

When I composed this list, I wanted to add this statement, because I am quite often accused of over thinking.  More times than not, it isn't because my brain is doing backflips and needs a rest; it's because whoever is listening to me rant is exhausted listening to me.  Sometimes I feel like it's an easy out for people who don't want to help me process a problem. Maybe the comment "You're overthinking it." is supposed to stop the flow of anxiety that pours out when an answer or conclusion isn't readily available.  

I would hope that "overthinking" isn't totally a bad thing.  I was brought up in a culture and religious system that didn't encourage the thinking process.  So sometimes, one might just be doing some thinking on something that was supposed to be just accepted on "faith". Then the accusation comes… "You're are overthinking it."  


Maybe, I like to think a lot about something.  After all, it's my brain doing the backflips.  I feel like I have a lot to catch up on.  I need to think and think again about things like my purpose on Earth, or Earth's purpose in the Cosmos, or even the purpose of the Cosmos in general.  How can I over think on a subject so big to start with.  The Cosmos is big.  I would think it takes a lot of thought to even start to process.


On my Dec 16th post, I shared an email from an old friend that lives about an eight hour drive from me.  I decided today on just replying back with the first two lines and leave my rant about the afterlife out.  That was because of another letter I got today that was a lot more pointy… and this time… the sender is from across the pond.  This time, the distance is about 7500 km.  It's more than an eight hour flight this time to help them with their upset apple cart... If I so choose to out myself to them.    I had the same thought… this time,  it won't take four days to think about it.  


Here's the letter  


"Dear Ruby and family


Again, my heartfelt condolences!   Thanks for arranging to talk to your mom.  Yet time keeps moving on.  Advent, a time of waiting for what?  Jesus, of course.  What else?  


We wish you a meaningful blessed Christmas time!  He is alive! Even though so often we do not understand His ways.  But one thing I know; I will never be alone.  May our Lord be with you and give you His peace.  K & E"


Don't get me started.  What else?  They asked… but are they really interested in an alternative?  Probably not.  


It's moments like this when I wonder if I need to start renovating my "Closet" so I will be more comfortable in there for the long haul.  I don't have the energy to out myself to the world… just yet.  But I will keep thinking about it!  


(written December 20, 2023) 

No comments:

Post a Comment