FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

121323 Agnostic Advent Myth #13: "I know myself fully know."

I don't think I really need to elaborate on this one.  I keep saying life is a journey... a movement. Yesterday I had a discussion with someone and brought up the idea of "Life is a dance."  That comes from Bart Campolo's son Roman who didn't like the idea of looking at life as journey.  Journeys to him indicated a destination and life (Post-Christian understanding) isn't about a destination.  So maybe life is more like a dance than a journey.  There is no destination but the end, and even then it is really the end of us?  Can we not somehow go on in people's memories, in the legacies we leave behind?  

So if my conclusion is that life is a movement, how will I ever know myself fully.  So much of the movement of life contributes to who I am.  The me of twenty years ago would never have foreseen the me of today.  I have no idea who I will be in twenty years from now if I am given twenty more years.  How can I know myself fully if I still have some of me yet to discover as the years roll by.  

This is the most beautiful part of life.  I am not needing to land anywhere.  Life is a dance.  Constantly changing, moving and most importantly... with a partner.  I don't do this dance alone.  

(My use of the word "partner" being a metaphor for doing life with people.) 

If I can rest in the understanding that life moves and my life moves, maybe I won't be so hung up on what others think of me and my journey.   I will end with one of my favourite pictures of life's movement.  

"Normally people will follow the path that rises from the plains of their own civilization;  those who circle the mountain, trying to bring others around to their paths, are not climbing." (Huston Smith  - The World's Religions) 

No comments:

Post a Comment