FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Monday, December 11, 2023

121123 Agnostic Advent: Myth #11 " Atheist = Anti-theist.  I want the end of religion."

This one is a hard one for me to summarize adequately… so I need to listen to some Bart Campolo first, as he is always an inspiration for me for a different kind of secularism.  

***

I'm back and I want to share an interview that helped me with this subject.   Bart Campolo's interview on the podcast "Flawed Theology"

I value Bart's perspective on relationships with Christians.  He has no interest in deconverting Christians. And even sometimes tries to help struggling Christians to hang on to their faith.  I like that approach.  

I have no desire to take anyone's faith away from them if it works for them and helps to make them a beautiful and better human being.  It does cause some awkwardness for me right now because I am still learning how to navigate authentic space with my people while still trying to respect them.  

To wish away religion of all kinds is to wish away a lot of beautiful things that religious people have created.  To wish away religion is to empty people of their communities.  To wish away religion or spirituality is to take the last remaining hope and presence for a lot of people that helps them get through the darkness of life.  

I won't be the one championing the cause for the end of religion.  I will be the one who hopes for finding a space we call all share that looks a lot like love.  

(written December 11, 2023) 

No comments:

Post a Comment