FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Wednesday, December 6, 2023

120623 Agnostic Advent: Myth #6: I'm free to behave anyway I want to."

This makes no sense.  After my departure from Christianity as a belief system, my life hasn't changed much in the way of my behaviour.  I didn't start making a list of all the things I could do now that I didn't need Jesus' permission for everything I did.  I think the only thing that has changed significantly is my reading material and Youtube and podcast content material.  I read different books and am open to listen to stories and discussions I wouldn't have been interested in before.  That is it.  Leaving Christianity hasn't turned me into an immoral reprobate. 


There is a problem with the perception that people leaving Christianity are "free to do anything they want".  It is simply not the case for most of us.  We are still human and have discovered after leaving Christianity that are morals were always human based, not doctrine based.  Who I am as a human being defines my behaviour.  I do things and don't do things because of its benefits to me as a human dwelling with other humans.  


When people are taught that your morals come from a relationship with "God", there is a disconnect in seeing the "Godless" as moral?  The common ground has to be found in what we have in our humanity.  If Christians need to believe it all comes from God, that's fine, but  then they get to include all humans in that equation, not just the select few that subscribe to a certain expression of faith.  If "God" is the source, then let "God" be the source for all of humanity. 


It is strange to me that this myth even needs to be on the list.  It only reinforces the ignorance of some people in their bubbles.  This ignorance needs to stop... NOW!  


(Written December 6, 2023) 

No comments:

Post a Comment