FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Friday, June 30, 2023

021622 What Agnostic means to me

I don’t go to church as a practice.

I don’t read the bible as a practice.

I don’t pray in English and what I do I don’t call prayer.

Heaven, Hell and eternity are a myth to me.


I can surmise that most of the bible is fiction. 

I have no confidence in a physical resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth 

I understand the gospels are more fiction than fact... created stories around a legend.  


Belief requires certainty in most religious expressions, not making it belief

There are too many inconsistencies in modern Christian expressions. 

People get angry when their beliefs are challenged 


In the words of Bart Campolo, Christianity has a bloody narrative. 

I envision the creator of the Universe as an energy source, a Flow, not a

person. Imagining a person is to restricting for me... making "God" in my image.


I spend more time imagining than coming to conclusions 

I may be hanging on with a thread by still embracing a creator but to let go I now have to come up with another explanation for the universe and that is more than my 53 year old brain is capable of.  It would pummel me into another belief that doesn’t make sense and I can’t go there. 


This is why the term agnostic might be all I have to label myself as. Because it comes down to three words.  I don’t know 


(Written February 16, 2022)

No comments:

Post a Comment