FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Monday, August 14, 2023

081423 Evidence and Belief

I had this thought while mowing my lawn.  My apologies to Richard Dawkins... Evidence isn't enough to change a belief.  At the absolute minimum...Personal observation of evidence may be enough to negate a belief. Even then.... a person still has a will.     There may be evidence for a lot of things... but if I haven't personally observed them... I will still require belief to accept them as reality.  To me... things can make sense and I don't require agreeing on the basis of evidence.  Religion has stories, and so does Science...  so I get to choose which story makes more sense to me and which story I get to "believe".  This, I think, is the secret to embracing people in their differences.  For the most part, we aren't all that different.  We just "believe" different things.  

(Written August 14, 2023) 


No comments:

Post a Comment