FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

061124 My thoughts on prayer

My thoughts on prayer: When I stopped believing that "God" or "Jesus" were listening to me, I still wanted to talk to someone. I felt that in my alone time, I wanted to share my thoughts with someone if only that someone was just as absent as "Jesus" and "God" were. So I focused more on having those conversations with my deceased family members. It was my way of keeping them close... and the conversations seemed to be more relevant than the traditional prayers to a deity. Because now I was bringing them back into my life in a different way. It fills the same hole that prayer did. I don't expect anything to change as a result of talking to my dad, or my nephew or my sister. But I "feel" that I'm not alone in those moments of needing comfort. Maybe that is what prayer gives people. Maybe people really don't expect a cosmic force to change everything for them... but they just don't want to feel alone.

(written June 11, 2024)

No comments:

Post a Comment