FEATURED POST: AGNOSTIC ADVENT

103123 Twenty-five Myths about my Deconversion from Christianity

Monday, October 2, 2023

100223 My Turtle Necklaces

Some people do things because they find meaning in them.  Some people do things, and in the doing of those things… it is there that they find the meaning they didn't have. 

Originally, I started wearing turtle necklaces because I liked one story about the turtle from the North American Indigenous culture.  As I wore the necklaces, I went looking for other significant meanings.  I discovered that the Taoist and Hindu cultures also provided a story that contributed to the significance of the turtle.  In these cultures and their stories, the turtle is the foundation of the world and even the universe.    

I harvested this quote from Dr. Google.  

"In many cultures, it [the turtle] is associated with wisdom and patience. The tortoise is believed to have the ability to live a long time and thus has accumulated great wisdom throughout its life. It represents the idea of taking things easy, being patient and learning from experiences."

A necklace doesn't need to provide any power or identity to give a reminder of meaning.   I like the stories and in those stories, I find inspiration and connection to nature.  It isn't about knowledge or facts this time, it's about connection.  


(Written October 2, 2023)


No comments:

Post a Comment